Guide and Help when using Features on this Website
Viewing this Website
- 1152 x 864 is the minimum resolution you should use to view this website.
- 1024 x 768 is a little too small and results in crowding of some elements and don't try with a lower resolution like 800 x 600 it will be frustrating get a better video card and monitor!
You need to login to the site in order to conduct actions under the privileges of your username, and to be able to claim control (if you have the permissions), and point reward, over the content you submit.
You may also need to login to access restricted zones, categories, and pages.
Every logged-in member can gain points as they contribute to our community. You can earn points when you in ways like…
- Opening a gallery and adding images and/or videos
- Updating your gallery
- Adding a Banner
- Having a "Meet the Artist" page
- Posting on the forums
- Posting comments on an entry
- Rating an entry
- Chatting in the Chatrooms
- Adding new or choosing Polls
- Adding new or choosing Image of the Day
- Voting in website polls
- Taking a test, quiz or survey
- Each day you visiting Prehistorics Illustrated
As you gain points, you can spend them on various things.
The points system extends further than this though, as members have the ability to give each-other points via gift-points. Gift-points are given out to all our members at a rate of 1 per day for every day they are a member but are useless until they are given to people who you feel have done you or the community a good service. When they are given to someone they show up on their personal points page, and they count towards their point total (which they can use to buy things with). For example, somebody might release some works to the community and then members might give them a whole load of points for it, given them credit for their work. Occasionally upon giving a gift, you will be awarded points yourself, as a random award for your consideration.
Members of staff have the ability to give any number of points they like to people, including huge numbers, or even negative numbers. Please the staff and you could be awarded massively in points; abuse our systems and you could be penalized.
Please have fun with the system and use your gift-points well.
contains all the items you can buy using your points. You can then select some and buy them.
The items that are purchasable include:
- Flagrant text messages. These are messages displayed in a prominent position on the website. All flagrant messages are placed in a queue and activated manually (and thus subject to moderation).
- Banner advertisements, and upgrades. Through this you may advertise something of your own that ordinarily the staff would not allocate advertising space for.
- Topic pinning.
- User name highlighting.
Products that require manual set-up will usually only be charged for upon activation, not at point of sale.
allows you to add news to the site. For most members, this will put the news into a validation queue and inform the staff of the submission.
Other things you may do
You may see submission links on the menus, and in other places. Submitting any kind of entry will be a similar process to submitting news: your entry will likely be put in a validation queue.
Please be aware that this function is not yet ready to be used and this info will be of more use in the future.
CEDI stands for 'Collaborative/encyclopaedic database interface', and is a system that allows users to post content into a database of posts. This system is similar to that of a forum, however rather than having a structure of forums and user created topics, it has a staff-managed hierarchical structure of pages.
The system can be used for all kinds of things, such as posting reference material indexed hierarchically by category, organising ideas indexed by topic, or discussing TV programmes indexed by episode name.
The staff will make clear how the CEDI system is employed on this website.